The number of websites that are launched every year is growing as many businesses are emerging and embracing online presence. While many businesses opt to hire a web designer for building their websites, they fail to consider the many options that they can use to set up a decent website on their own. This can be pretty economical for small and medium businesses and also for professional freelancers.
The most popular way of setting up websites is to use Content Management Systems (CMS). CMS software allows you to set up your website without having to commit a single pixel or line of code. If you have the time and energy, then CMS is the perfect option for you.
To help you make a decision, I will look at the features of Top 10 Best and Most Popular CMS Platforms in 2022 and share with you some fundamental features about them that can make it easy for you choose right one your business website.
How to Choose the Right Content Management System (CMS) for your Website
There are hundreds of CMS systems on the market, from the very simple to the very complex, available free or subject to a fee, with large support communities, multilingual options, etc. At this point, you need to know the specific characteristics that should guide your decision:
- Functionality : – Choose the CMS with the features for optimal development of your web project. Generally speaking, there are 3 functionalities you should always look for in a CMS: an open system of APIs, ready-to-use plug-ins, a personalizable design.
- Ease of use :- The best CMS you can choose is the one that facilitates your work and the work of your team. Think about the activities to be performed on a daily basis and the level of specialization of your content creators. Then, with your team, test a demo of the systems you think look most interesting, to check that the CMS simplifies workflows.
- Flexibility and personalization : – The content management system you choose should be flexible, and suitable both for the developers and for the content editors working on the back end. It should also allow you to personalize the visitor experience on your website.
- SEO : – If you want to be sure of being on the first page of search results, you need an SEO-friendly CMS. In other words, a system with a streamlined code for rapid site loading, that facilitates web-page scanning by search-engine crawlers and offers meta tag personalization options. It must also be mobile-friendly.
- Security:- Your website will gain possession of a variety of personal data, from the most innocuous, anonymous information, to highly sensitive data such as your customers’ credit card data. Online security must be a priority, so choose a CMS that guarantees protection against the main dangers on the web.
- Support and assistance:- This is a decisive factor, especially if you are not an expert and need to be sure of receiving help whenever necessary. Make certain that assistance is included in the license and check the opinions of online customers.
- Price:- A final discriminant in the choice of the best CMS for you will undoubtedly be the cost of the platform. Some CMS are free, others require payment of a user license. Your decision should consider the budget at your disposal, but also: what do you need right now? What are your medium/long-term objectives? Establishing these two points will help you make the right choice.
Below are Top 10 Best and Most Popular CMS Platforms in 2022
Without no doubt, WordPress is the world’s most popular website builder. WordPress is a free and open-source content management system written in PHP and paired with a MySQL or MariaDB database with supported HTTPS. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system, referred to within WordPress as Themes.
The main reason for the high popularity of this system is that it is an open source which means that it is available free of cost. It is based on PHP and is very effective in the development of dynamic websites.
This system has an inbuilt structure in which the articles can be created easily without any coding or any other technical thing. There are several other features associated with this system. Some of the attributes associated with WordPress are discussed here:
- Easy To Install And Setup : – WordPress is meant for both the very beginners and the seasoned professionals. For both parties, WordPress is extremely easy to setup and install. It comes down to a simple one-click installation with no coding required.
- Simple, Straightforward, And Easy To Use : – WordPress was created for even the most non-technical to use. It comes with intuitive design, directions, and tutorials to get you started and keep you going. So easy your grandmother could use it!
- Cost Effective And Cheap : – You can even get WordPress for free! That’s right – for free! Even if you opt for a paid version or use hosting or plugins that cost a few dollars here and there, the total all-in cost for using the WordPress platform will most likely cost you less than $100. This is extremely cheap compared to other alternatives.
- Search Engine and SEO Friendly:- WordPress is really well designed for search engine optimization (SEO). It’s easy to create SEO-friendly URLs, categories, and tags for your posts. You can also choose from plenty of SEO plugins to help you do more.
- Responsive Website Design:- In modern technology era, you need a website that is responsive to a large variety of different devices. You don’t want to have a website where the words get cut off on an iPhone, the design looks poor on a tablet, but on a desktop everything looks great.You want your whole website to look amazing no matter what devices your visitors are using.
- Regular Automatic Updates:– As the internet is ever-changing and evolving, website CMS’s need to keep up with the changing environment and update their platforms accordingly. WordPress is always on top of this and continues to update their platform to stay line with technological advances and best practices. The best part about this is that the updates are automatic, quick, and only require one click.
- Most Plugins And Apps:- WordPress has over 54,000+ plugins. Plugins are applications that help you customize and run WordPress however you like. They include email marketing plugins, design plugins, speed plugins, and more. WordPress has the most available plugins by far, and allows the most customization among all other CMS’s.
Hubspot is the Content management software that’s flexible for marketers, powerful for developers, and gives your customers a personalized, secure experience. Includes hosting, flexible themes, dynamic content, drag-and-drop page editing, memberships, and more — all powered by a CRM platform that allows you to build seamless digital experiences for your customers.
Why you should use HubSpot CMS
- You can manage all of your content in one place:- The HubSpot CMS is an all-in-one, integrated platform that allows you to execute all of the components needed to market your business effectively. We’re talking the Swiss army knife of content strategy here people!
- You can personalise for every visitor:- As HubSpot’s CMS is integrated with its CRM, you’re able to personalise the entire customer experience, from a visitor first website visit, through every single marketing, sales and service touchpoint. So instead of sending out generic content directed at a broad audience, you can dynamically tailor your content to individual visitors, making your marketing messages feel more real, human and valuable.
- You can start from scratch or use a template:- Depending on your needs, you can avoid starting designs from scratch by taking advantage of one of HubSpot’s hundreds of templates. These templates are super easy to use and can be easily customised.
- You can optimise your content for search, mobile and conversions:- HubSpot has this dope thing called responsive design, meaning that your content is automatically optimised for every device, be it desktop or mobile, so you can have your content looking great to anyone who wants to read it!
- You can rely on SEO recommendations:- While most SEO tools require users to conduct outside research and prioritise keywords throughout their website, HubSpot’s all-in-one platform gives you SEO recommendations alongside their content tools, providing you tips and tricks for the right keywords, ways to improve your search ranking and updates on your competitors.
Joomla! is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) for publishing web content. It is one of world’s most popular software packages. It is used to build, organise, manage and publish content for small businesses, governments, non-profits and large organisations worldwide. Joomla is supported by a large ecosystem and powers:
Joomla offers a great opportunity to grow your business building websites and applications. The rock solid code base and large global community will help you get up to speed fast. Whether you are looking to build websites or develop applications, develop templates or extensions or something completely new based on our framework, with Joomla, the possibilities are endless, start using Joomla today!
Reasons why Joomla! is the perfect platform for your online projects.
- A flexible system, easy to extend and customise:– Joomla has thousands of verified third party extensions which can be easily found on the Joomla Extensions Directory – extensions.joomla.org
- Search engine optimised out of the box:– Joomla has powerful SEO tools built and ready right out of the box
- Free forever Open Source software:- Like WordPress, Joomla is open source, and there’s lots of community support available if you get stuck.
- Security conscious development with an excellent track record:- With a codebase designed to be robust, Joomla also features built in two-factor authentication and extensive access control levels out of the box.
WooCommerce is an open-source and the most popular eCommerce plugin for WordPress. It is designed for small to large-sized online merchants using WordPress. Launched on September 27, 2011, the plugin quickly became popular for its simplicity to install and customize and for the market position of the base product as freeware
WooCommerce is. It’s really flexible and it’s easy to manage.
WooCommerce isn’t technically a CMS platform itself. Instead, it runs as a plugin on WordPress, so you’ll need to have WordPress on your site in order to install WooCommerce.
Why you should use WooCommerce
- WooCommerce is available as free software, but you’ll need WooCommerce hosting and domain name to get started.
- There are lots of WooCommerce themes available, which makes it really easy to get your site looking exactly how you want.
- WooCommerce has lots of available extensions (known as WooCommerce plugins) that let you add extra functionality to your site.
- You can sell physical or digital products using WooCommerce. You can even sell affiliate products through affiliate links.
- You can fully manage your inventory through WooCommerce, making it easy to keep track of what you have in stock.
- WooCommerce comes with PayPal and Stripe payments by default. You can also add any other payment gateways through extensions and add-ons.
Drupal is a free and open-source content-management framework that can be tailored and customized to simple websites or complex web applications
Drupal is highly scalable, making it popular with large and complex organizations that have high traffic sites. Drupal improves website performance through caching, especially for logged-in users, reducing page load times and resource requirements
Why you should use Drupal
- It’s Powerful:- With great power comes great flexibility. Drupal does not so much see itself as a content management system, but more as a content management framework
- It’s Secure:- Since Drupal is built as an Open Source platform, its codebase is very closely scrutinised. Open Source means the code that powers it is freely available for anyone to look at, use, modify, and contribute to
- It’s Search Engine Friendly:- Drupal code is written quite semantically, and its ability to use alt and title tags for images and other uploaded media gives it quite a push in SEO terms
- It’s Free:- Drupal is 100% free. You do not pay for Drupal. You do not pay a licence fee to use it. You do not pay a repeating licence fee each year. It is free, free, free
Wix.com is an Israeli software company, publicly listed in the US, that provides cloud-based web development services. It allows users to create HTML5 websites and mobile sites through the use of online drag and drop tools.
Why you should use Wix.com
- Wix’s drag and drop interface makes it really easy to create pages that look just how you want. You can select any part of your page and start editing it.
- There are lots of pre-made templates you can choose from in Wix. These are fully responsive, so they look great on mobiles and computers.
- You can add lots of apps to your site from the Wix App Market. These work like WordPress’s plugins to give your site new features.
Shopify is a complete commerce platform that lets you start, grow, and manage a business. Shopify unifies all of your commerce onto a single platform. With Shopify, merchants can build and customize an online store and sell in multiple places, including web, mobile, in person, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops and across multiple channels from social media to online marketplaces.
Why use Shopify?
- Shopify supports the entire ecommerce community. Online, offline and everywhere in between. It is home to the largest, most diverse set of entrepreneurs, merchants, developers, and partners.
- You can accept credit and debit cards through Shopify’s integrated payment solution, Shopify Payments. PayPal is also included as one of Shopify’s default payment providers.
- There are lots of extensions and themes available for Shopify. You can buy third-party Shopify apps that let you add all sorts of features to your online store.
- Shopify has 24/7 support through live chat, email, phone, and even Twitter. There’s also lots of documentation available (including written how-to guides and video tutorials) plus online forums.
Ghost is a powerful app for new-media creators to publish, share, and grow a business around their content. It comes with modern tools to build a website, publish content, send newsletters & offer paid subscriptions to members.
Ghost is a CMS platform specifically designed for bloggers. You’ll often hear it described as a “headless CMS,” which might sound quite odd. This just means that the CMS platform doesn’t force content to be delivered in a specific way.
Why you should use Ghost
- You can use Markdown when you’re writing in the Ghost editor. Markdown is a way of formatting text where you add special characters around words to make them bold, italic, and so on.
- Ghost has a content editor that uses cards. These work a bit like WordPress’s blocks in the block editor.
- There’s great support for SEO (search engine optimization) built into Ghost. You don’t need to add any plugins to deliver this.
- Ghost is well set up for charging for content, so if you want to run an online magazine or publication that people pay for, you can do this easily.
Magento is an ecommerce website platform owned by Adobe that specializes in ecommerce websites. Magento users have access to hundreds of unique features that help them connect with their customers and sell their products.
Why you should use Magento
- Easily integrate with third-party inventory platforms.
- Progressive Web Apps (PWA) Experience for smartphones.
- Real-time automated control of inventory sources used to realize orders.
- Magento is highly customizable, with lots of third-party extensions available that you can use to add extra features.
- With Magento, you can handle lots of products and customers. It lets your business grow easily, without your site slowing down. (You’ll likely need to upgrade your hosting plan, though.)
- There are some really big name brands using Magento, including Nike, Ford, and Coca Cola.
- You can connect different payment gateways to Magento. It also comes with certain options, like PayPal, cash on delivery, and bank transfer already built-in.
Blogger is a free long-established blog-publishing service launched in 1999. A lot of website creators are choosing Blogger to create their blogs because the platform provides a fast, reliable, and easy publishing as well as being totally free.
Blogs on Blogger normally have blogspot in the domain, though it’s possible to use your own domain name instead.
Why you should use Blogger
- Blogger is easy to get started with. You can set up a blog in minutes, and it’s well designed for writing and publishing posts.
- There are a number of gadgets that you can add to your blog for free so that you can include things like a contact form and even ads on your blog.
- Your blog is hosted by Google. You don’t need to install anything, update anything, or pay for hosting.
- Blogger offers a generous amount of space. There’s no limit on how many posts you can have per blog, and you can have up to 20 static pages. Your images are stored in Google Drive, so they’ll count towards your 15GB limit there.